Sunday, November 30, 2008

Contemporary Readings

I thoroughly enjoyed almost all of the reading selections for my contemporary literature class. I thought the list well-represented modern literature, and I would change little on the list. I particularly enjoyed reading Atonement, The Watchmen, A Streetcar Named Desire, and the Shakur lyrical poems. Atonement was a novel that I knew little about before reading. I thought the style was very interesting, particularly how the end was written like an author within an author. It embodied many post-modernism ideas, which I enjoyed. Reading The Watchmen was also great because of its extreme difference in writing style when compared to the other readings. I never before read a graphic novel and, although sometimes difficult to read, it was very fascinating. The many symbols and political metaphors also contributed to my liking of it. I look forward to reading it again. A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic play that should be read by all. The realistic dialogues within the play and overall plot kept me reading on. I liked how my teacher included Tupac Shakur's poetry. It is again a different style from the other literature which kept the class interesting. Considering Shakur's hard and troubled past, his poems were extremely genuine and meaningful. As you can see, I would change little on the reading list for my contemporary literature class this semester. It was a great mix of literature further supporting and contributing to the many post-modern ideas we discussed in class. I would have liked to see more literature from around the world, however. I think we can truly learn more from different cultures and other people's points of view totally different from our own. Some of the short stories in the anthology seemed somewhat meaningless and replaceable. However, these stories allowed me to further understand post-modernism, and how one can truly interpret something totally different than another.

No comments: